None of our constitutional freedoms would be possible without economic liberty and the protection of private property through the rule of law. The Constitution was designed specifically to limit the power of the federal government, but we now have a government that appears incapable of restraint.
Excessive taxation and regulation—too often backed up by disproportionate civil and criminal fines and penalties—limit our choices and erode our most fundamental liberties and rights. Big government, activist liberal judges and federal executive agencies are imposing overly intrusive micro-management in our daily lives that the nation’s Founders fought to prevent.
Businesses that create jobs are finding it increasingly difficult to do so in the face of excessive government interference and obstruction, not to mention confiscatory taxation.
At the same time, the nation’s growing debt burden threatens the free market and America’s very ability to function as a self-governing, free republic.
Through commentary and court briefs, the ACRU is working to restore and protect the basic economic liberties that have allowed the United States to be the freest, most prosperous country in world history.
Economic Liberty “In The News”
- Feckless Republicans need a Niskanen Amendment to slow federal spending and stop debt.CONTINUE READING
- As a contributing editor for Townhall.com, and a public affairs commentator for the Salem Radio Network, Blackwell is a leading conservative voice in America.CONTINUE READING
- I think that an important part of an intelligent discussion about fairness and justice is the recognition that knowing results of a process cannot establish whether there is fairness or justice.CONTINUE READING
- Republicans need a defense against endless debt ceiling hikes.CONTINUE READING
- If we define greed as people wanting much more than what they have, then everyone is greedy.CONTINUE READING
- The lure of something for nothing grows as morality crumbles.CONTINUE READING
- Paying attention to goals rather than incentives has been responsible for disastrous public policy.CONTINUE READING
- What the law says about the powers of IPAB is horrific, worthy of a Third World, authoritarian autocracy, rather than the world’s leading democratic republic.CONTINUE READING
- The most comprehensive assault on the Separation of Powers Doctrine, in the history of American law.CONTINUE READING
- Video was leaked of left-wing economist Jonathan Gruber, the chief architect of Obamacare, admitting that the sweeping health care bill became law because Americans are “stupid.”CONTINUE READING
- The GOP can’t bask in their victories, it’s time to get to work. Here’s what the new majority should do, and not do.CONTINUE READING
- Americans voted down the Democrats’ socialist state.CONTINUE READING
- Mauritius is the only one of the 48 countries in sub-Saharan Africa to rank among the 10 freest economies in the world.CONTINUE READING
- I’m going to ask readers for their guesses about human behavior before explaining my embarrassment by some of my fellow economists.CONTINUE READING
- Simply repealing the dealer franchise laws, as some on the right have suggested, would not leave a completely free market in its wake.CONTINUE READING
- When the employer mandate becomes effective, these Obamacare victims may balloon to tens of millions more.CONTINUE READING
- Before we jump to conclusions about what disparities mean and whether they are indicators of injustice, we might examine some other disparities to see what we can make of them.CONTINUE READING
- Washington’s socialist bunch would punish firms seeking low taxes.CONTINUE READING
- A far better explanation for the billions going to the campaign coffers of Washington politicians and lobbyists lies in the awesome government power and control over business, property, employment and other areas ...CONTINUE READING
- There are things that really puzzle me.CONTINUE READING