The Tenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution states simply that “The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.”
Our Constitution was designed to limit the reach of federal government authority into our daily lives. That uniquely American doctrine unites 13 colonies into “these United States” by recognizing each state as its own sovereign government within a sovereign national government. In other words, the states were not meant to be mere sub-departments of the national government, but sovereign governments in their own right whose powers and sphere of authority could not be infringed on by the national government.
But, over time, the federal government has encroached upon the sovereignty of the states through excessive mandates, over-regulation, and confiscatory taxation.
Too many federal agencies are out of control including the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Bureau of Land Management, the Federal Communications Commission, the National Labor Relations Board, the Labor Department, and others that issue and enforce regulations never authorized, and often opposed by Congress. Increasingly, the federal government is choosing not to enforce laws regarding immigration, health care, bankruptcy, welfare work requirements and others that Congress did indeed make the law of the land.
The ACRU has filed numerous amicus briefs at the U.S. Supreme Court challenging unconstitutional power grabs by unelected federal bureaucrats. One example was our support for Mike and Chantell Sackett, an Idaho couple victimized by heavy-handed EPA rulings that effectually destroyed their property rights—without even allowing them the opportunity to challenge the EPA rules in federal court.
We have consistently challenged the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act on numerous fronts and will continue to use every opportunity available to prevent the federal takeover of our health care system.
President Ronald Reagan recognized that our Founders’ greatest gift to us was our federalist form of government, which makes each state a laboratory for democracy and problem solving—because the most effective solutions are made by those closest to a problem.
Federalism “In The News”
- ACRU President Susan Carleson joined with 28 conservative leaders to urge congress to take action against President Obama’s illegal Amnesty Executive Order.CONTINUE READING
- What the law says about the powers of IPAB is horrific, worthy of a Third World, authoritarian autocracy, rather than the world’s leading democratic republic.CONTINUE READING
- In a brief submitted today, the American Civil Rights Union asks the U.S. Supreme Court to stop President Obama from obliterating the separation of powers doctrine in the Constitution.CONTINUE READING
- The most comprehensive assault on the Separation of Powers Doctrine, in the history of American law.CONTINUE READING
- Rule of law means that laws are certain and known in advance.CONTINUE READING
- Given President Obama’s increasingly dictatorial rule, it’s a good time to dust off some thoughts on despotism by America’s “forgotten founder,” Thomas Paine.CONTINUE READING
- The American experiment in self-government, with separation of powers established in a written Constitution, is only around 233 years old. Its roots are far older.CONTINUE READING
- Obama has used executive orders to change the law on several occasions. Ask yourself whether our Constitution permits the president to unilaterally change a law enacted by Congress.CONTINUE READING
- In a major development that may bode well for reining in the Affordable Care Act (ACA), the U. S. Supreme Court has agreed to hear a challenge based on the creation of ...CONTINUE READING
- ACRU President Susan Carleson joined with other conservative leaders to declare Tuesday’s election results a victory for America.CONTINUE READING
- Ninth Circuit wrongly approves delegation of legislative and judicial authority to Fish and Wildlife Service, American Civil Rights Union brief states.CONTINUE READING
- J. Christian Adams’ new e-book tells you what you need to know about the Democratic Party and voter fraud before November 4 comes.CONTINUE READING
- Attorney general’s term at Justice has been ‘payback time’.CONTINUE READING
- WASHINGTON, D.C. (Oct. 1, 2014) — A federal judge’s ruling on Tuesday declaring Obamacare subsidies on federal exchanges to be an “abuse of discretion” by the federal government is a victory for ...CONTINUE READING
- There’s no question that the West has the military might to thwart radical Islam’s agenda. The question up for grabs is whether we have the intelligence to recognize the attack and the ...CONTINUE READING
- The Constitution of the United States has endured for over two centuries. It remains the object of reverence for nearly all Americans and an object of admiration by peoples around the world.CONTINUE READING
- The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) acted illegally when it issued an Obamacare rule allowing subsidies for health care insurance purchased in federal exchanges in states that declined to create their own exchanges, ...CONTINUE READING
- In an unprecedented letter, a majority of the federal government’s inspectors general (IGs) claim that the Obama administration is obstructing their investigations into government mismanagement and corruption.CONTINUE READING
- 9-0 Ruling Says President Cannot Make “Recess Appointments” When Senate Is Not in Recess. WASHINGTON, D.C. (June 26, 2014) —- The U.S. Supreme Court’s unanimous decision to rebuke President Obama for making executive ...CONTINUE READING
- This column by ACRU Policy Board Member J. Christian Adams was published on April 17, 2014 on PJ Media. Yesterday was a significant day in the IRS abuse scandal. The scandal evolved from ...CONTINUE READING