The First Amendment
The First Amendment to the Constitution states: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or of the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”
The First Amendment refers to “freedom of religion”—not “freedom from religion.” For decades, leftist groups, particularly the ACLU, have used lawsuits to distort America’s history, twisting the Constitution into an enemy of any religion, rather than a protector of all. Correcting that error is a primary goal of the ACRU.
The latest liberal argument reduces the scope of “freedom of religion” by substituting the phrase “freedom to worship.” Because tearing down churches would be too overt, the Left is attempting to make churches irrelevant to public life, by forcing them to acquiesce to an ever-evolving secular “morality.” As a result, churches are finding it increasingly difficult to conduct charitable activities, harming the most vulnerable among us.
Meanwhile, the ACLU and other atheist groups are eviscerating America’s Christian heritage by forcing the removal of Christian—and sometimes Jewish—symbols from the public square. This includes Ten Commandment monuments or crosses, large or small, at veterans’ memorials such as Mt. Soledad in San Diego.
Increasingly, traditional morality is being redefined as a form of “hate speech.” This effectively criminalizes dissent as Leftists twist the meaning of “tolerance” into intolerance for dissenting viewpoints of any kind.
The good news is that the Constitution is very clear and can’t be ignored. The ACRU is determined to do everything it can to protect and advance the “unalienable right” of freedom of religion guaranteed to all by America’s Founders.
Support the ACRU’s work on the First Amendment by donating today.
First Amendment: ACRU Court Activity
- Minnesota voter had right to wear Gadsden flag and “Please I.D. Me” button at polling place.
- Freedom from Religion Foundation is “trying to use the federal courts to destroy religious freedom and independence from government control,” …
- Brief filed on behalf of Liberty University says the cost of defying abortion order would be “crippling.” ALEXANDRIA, VA (Oct. …
Symposium: Time to Restore Longstanding Meaning—and Sanity—to the Establishment Clause in Town of Greece v. GallowayThis column by ACRU Senior Legal Analyst Ken Klukowski was published October 3, 2013 on SCOTUSblog.com. Town of Greece v. …
- Political speech should have higher protection than “pornography, nude dancing and abortion,” brief says. WASHINGTON, D.C. (May 13, 2013) — …
First Amendment: ACRU Commentary
- 11/16: ACRU General Counsel Ken Klukowski recommends that the DOJ appeal the court’s mandate to reinstate Jim Acosta’s press credentials.
- 11/14: ACRU General Counsel Ken Klukowski explains the Constitutional reasons why CNN's lawsuit against the White House will fail.
Spakovsky: Twitter’s Initial Classification of ‘Illegal Alien,’ ‘Criminal Alien’ as Hateful Shows Social Media’s Censorship Potential9/18: Talking about sanctuary cities and the safe haven they provide for criminal aliens or talking about the often-violent crimes …
- 9/14: Should you be forced to disclose your charitable donations to the government?
- 8/10: As the Left gained control of the commanding heights of culture and increasingly business across the nation, the new …