Freedom of Religious Expression
The First Amendment refers to “freedom of religion”—not “freedom from religion”. For decades, leftist groups, particularly the ACLU, have used lawsuits to distort America’s history, twisting the Constitution into an enemy of any religion, rather than a protector of all. Correcting that error is a primary goal of the ACRU.
The latest liberal argument reduces the scope of “freedom of religion” by substituting the phrase “freedom to worship.” Because tearing down churches would be too overt, the Left is attempting to make churches irrelevant to public life, by forcing them to acquiesce to an ever-evolving secular “morality.” As a result, churches are finding it increasingly difficult to conduct charitable activities, harming the most vulnerable among us.
Meanwhile, the ACLU and other atheist groups are eviscerating America’s Christian heritage by forcing the removal of Christian—and sometimes Jewish—symbols from the public square. This includes Ten Commandment monuments or crosses, large or small, at veterans’ memorials such as Mt. Soledad in San Diego.
Increasingly, traditional morality is being redefined as a form of “hate speech.” This effectively criminalizes dissent as Leftists twist the meaning of “tolerance” into intolerance for dissenting viewpoints of any kind.
The good news is that the Constitution is very clear and can’t be ignored. The ACRU is determined to do everything it can to protect and advance the “unalienable right” of freedom of religion guaranteed to all by America’s Founders.
Support the ACRU’s work on the Freedom of Religious Expression by donating today.
Freedom of Religious Expression: ACRU Court Activity
- 1/3: The Supreme Court will hear oral argument in this case on February 27, 2019, and a decision will be …
Freedom of Religious Expression: ACRU Commentary
- 2/27: ACRU Chairman and CEO Susan Carleson discusses why the ACRU joined the fight to protect the Bladensburg Peace Cross …
- 2/27: The Supreme Court will decide whether the 94-year-old Bladensburg Peace Cross, which honors the fallen of WWI, should be …
- 2/24: ACRU Senior Fellow Kerri Toloczko explains why the Bladensburg Peace Cross is far more than a religious symbol and …
- 1/14: ACRU General Counsel Ken Klukowski reports on a California Federal Court blocking President Trump's religious liberty mandate on Obamacare.
- 9/20: The Trump administration has commendably made religious freedom a major focus of its foreign policy.